HomeIndia NewsDelhi car blast: 8 dead, one held as NIA joins probe; owner of Hyundai i20 car detained
A powerful explosion near Gate No. 1 of Delhi’s Red Fort Metro Station on Monday evening left at least 8 people dead and several vehicles gutted.
At least eight people were killed and 24 injured after a Hyundai i20 car exploded near Gate No. 1 of the Red Fort Metro Station in central Delhi on Monday evening. The explosion occurred around 6.55 PM at the busy Subhash Marg traffic signal, triggering a massive fire that gutted several vehicles. Fire officials said seven tenders were rushed to the spot and the blaze was contained within minutes.
A team from the National Investigation Agency (NIA) and forensic experts are examining the scene to determine whether ammonium nitrate, a chemical used in explosives, was involved. Sources said the blast’s impact was concentrated at the rear of the car, with no crater found — suggesting a low-intensity explosion or internal malfunction, according to a News18 report.
The car, reportedly carrying two to three occupants, was moving slowly at the time of the explosion, the report added. Officials said the injured mostly suffered burn wounds, not pellet injuries typically linked to bomb blasts, the News18 report said.
The injured were taken to Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan (LNJP) Hospital, where eight people were declared dead. Sixteen others remain under treatment, some in critical condition.
The Delhi Police have detained the car’s owner and arrested one suspect in connection with the incident. A multi-agency probe involving the Delhi Police Special Cell, Crime Branch, NIA, and Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) is underway. CCTV footage from the Red Fort Metro Station and surrounding areas is being reviewed.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah confirmed the details and said the Home Ministry will meet senior officials on Tuesday morning to assess progress. “All angles are being investigated, and agencies are working to determine the cause at the earliest,” he said.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi said he had reviewed the situation with Shah and senior officials. “Condolences to those who have lost their loved ones in the blast in Delhi earlier this evening. May the injured recover at the earliest,” the Prime Minister posted on X.
The blast comes just hours after police in another operation uncovered an interstate terror module, recovering more than 2,900 kg of suspected ammonium nitrate, allegedly intended for use in multiple IED attacks. Authorities said it was too early to link the two incidents, the News18 report said.
Following the incident, Delhi Police have issued a citywide high alert and tightened security across sensitive areas, markets, and metro stations. The CISF and local police units have been placed on heightened vigil.
Neighboring Uttar Pradesh has also been placed on high alert.
Officials said forensic tests are ongoing, and samples from the site have been sent for chemical analysis.
First Published:
Nov 10, 2025 7:29 PM
IST

