Tuesday, May 19

At least three people are dead following a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday, a mosque leader told MS NOW.

The deceased include a security guard and two staff members of the Islamic school on the center’s grounds, said Imam Taha Hassane, director of the mosque targeted in the shooting.

Police said the threat has been “neutralized” after responding to a reported active shooter situation in the Clairemont area of San Diego on Monday.

Nearby Sharp Memorial Hospital said it is receiving patients.

“Our disaster procedures have been activated and we are coordinating with the County of San Diego and other resources to respond to the incident,” a hospital spokesperson told MS NOW.

San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria said he is aware of the situation and receiving updates from law enforcement. Emergency personnel are on scene to secure the area, according to Gloria.

The mosque, the largest in San Diego County, also houses the Al Rashid Weekend School, which teaches Arabic Language and Islamic Studies.

“No one should ever fear for their safety while attending prayers or studying at an elementary school,” Muslim civil rights group CAIR said in a statement. “We are working to learn more about this incident and we encourage everyone to keep this community in your prayers.”

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Erum Salam is a breaking news reporter for MS NOW, with a focus on how global events and foreign policy shape U.S. politics. She previously was a breaking news reporter for The Guardian.

Read More

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version